[IRCNews] FW: Key Support For U.S. House`Bill HR-2160

Ken Bandy kj9b at arrl.net
Wed May 6 10:43:42 CDT 2009

Even if you're not a member of ARRL, this would be worth your while to
support.  If you're not in Indiana's 4th district, and represented by Steve
Buyer, as the attached letter is addressed, follow this link to find who to
write to:  https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

73,
Ken
KJ9B

5 MAY 2009 - 2105 CDT

Dear ARRL Member:

I am contacting you as part of the ARRL Legislative Action "Grassroots"

Program and asking you to get involved by writing to your Congressman/woman.

One of the biggest challenges that amateurs face is antenna restrictions -
those implemented by local governments and those originating from deed
restrictions and building development covenants.
As you may know, the
FCC's PRB-1 limited preemption order offers amateurs some relief when facing
zoning and building restrictions.  However, PRB-1 does not extend to include
covenants, conditions and restrictions (known as CC&Rs).  These deed and
property use restrictions strongly and negatively affect the ability of
Amateur Radio service licensees to perform valuable emergency and disaster
communications.  Finding a method to extend the PRB-1 protections is a key
component of the ARRL Legislative Action Program.

Recently, Congresswoman Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-TX) introduced House Bill

HR-2160 - the Amateur Radio Emergency Communications Enhancement Act of
2009.   If enacted into law, HR-2160 would instruct the Secretary of
Homeland
Security to undertake a study and report its findings to Congress within
180 days. The study would spell out uses and capabilities of Amateur Radio
communications in emergencies and disaster relief. The study
shall:

1. Include recommendations for enhancements in the voluntary deployment of
Amateur Radio licensees in disaster and emergency communications and
disaster relief efforts.

2. Include recommendations for improved integration of Amateur Radio
operators in planning and in furtherance of the Department of Homeland
Security initiatives.

3. Identify unreasonable or unnecessary impediments to enhanced Amateur
Radio communications -- such as the effects of private land use regulations
on residential antenna installations -- and make recommendations regarding
such impediments.

4. Include an evaluation of Section 207 of the Telecommunications Act of
1996 (Public Law 104-104, 110 Stat 56 [1996]).

5. Recommend whether Section 207 should be modified to prevent unreasonable
private land use restrictions that impair the ability of amateurs to
conduct, or prepare to conduct, emergency communications by means of
effective outdoor antennas and support structures at reasonable heights and
dimensions for the purpose in residential areas.

While the bill does not automatically extend PRB-1 to include CC&Rs, it
takes a first big step in that direction by determining the extent that
things such as CC&Rs impede the Amateur Service in performing public and
emergency service communications.

HR-2160 has been assigned to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce.
Getting the bill out of committee is the first major hurdle to overcome and
that is where you play an essential role.  Your Congressperson is a member
of that committee.  We need you to let them hear your voice of support for
HR-2160.

Attached to this email is a draft letter for you to personalize and send to
your Congressman/woman.  I am asking that you first personalize the letter
(including your name and address).  After that, I ask that you send the
letter to Chwat & Co, our representation in Washington.  To facilitate the
process, you may either email the letter directly to them at
arrl at chwatco.com or fax the letter to their office at 703-684-7594. Their
staff will be hand delivering your letter (along with the letters of others)
directly to the various Congressional offices.  If you choose to send your
letter directly to your member of Congress, please still email or fax a copy
as directed above.  This will allow John Chwat's staff to most effectively
represent the ARRL in this process.

Please email a copy of your letter to me at the email address below my
signature.  This will help me to monitor John Chwat's work on this House
Bill.

HR-2160 can go a long way towards assisting thousands of amateurs who are
restrained unreasonably by CC&Rs.  However, it is going to take a concerted
effort by all amateurs for this effort to be successful.
Time can become critical  so please act quickly in contacting your
Representative.  Together our voices can be heard and make a difference.  If
you have any questions please feel free to contact me, or the ARRL
Regulatory Information office at reginfo at arrl.org

I apologize for the mangled format of this message.
ARRL Web site limitations cause this.

Thanks and 73 -

George R. (Dick) Isely, W9GIG
ARRL Central Division Director

w9gig at arrl.org

The Honorable Steve Buyer
United States House of Representatives
2230 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Congressman Buyer:

As a voter in your district, as one of the 1881 federally licensed Amateur
Radio operators in your district and representing nearly 700,000 licensees
across the nation, I ask for your support of HR-2160, the "Amateur Radio
Emergency Communications Enhancement Act of 2009", which was introduced by
Congresswoman Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-TX) and has been referred to the House
Committee on Energy and Commerce.

HR-2160 instructs the Secretary of Homeland Security to undertake a study,
and report its findings to Congress within 180 days, on the uses and
capabilities of Amateur Radio communications in emergencies and disaster
relief. This study should:

1. Include recommendations for enhancements in the voluntary deployment
of Amateur Radio 	licensees in disaster and emergency communications
and
disaster relief efforts;

2. Include recommendations for improved integration of Amateur Radio
operators in planning and in furtherance of the Department of Homeland

Security initiatives;

3. Identify unreasonable or unnecessary impediments to enhanced Amateur

Radio communications, such as the effects of private land use regulations
on residential antenna installations, and make recommendations regarding
such impediments;

4. Include an evaluation of section 207 of the Telecommunications Act of
1996 (Public Law 104-104, 110 Stat. 56 (1996)); and

5. Recommend whether section 207 should be modified to prevent unreasonable
private land use restrictions that impair the ability of amateurs to
conduct, or prepare to conduct, emergency communications by means of
effective outdoor antennas and support structures at reasonable heights and
dimensions for the purpose, in residential areas.

Amateur Radio operators across the US repeatedly demonstrate our commitment
to public service and emergency communications. Through our work with
Homeland Security activities, state and local Emergency Management offices,
and with numerous private agencies, Amateur Radio operators make a
difference.  We need your support to help address the challenges facing us
as we seek to improve our capabilities to serve.

Please consider co-sponsoring HR-2160 and please support the bill as it
works its way through the committee and on to full House consideration.

				Sincerely,

				(Your full name)
				(address)
				(email address)