[IRCNews] The official word on the 70cm threat

Ken Bandy kj9b at arrl.net
Tue Feb 22 20:37:45 CST 2011

This has been floating around for a while, but I want to make sure all of
the members and friends of the Indianapolis Radio Club get this, and
hopefully get an opportunity to act on it as requested.

Hello everyone,

At the request of ARRL President Kay Craigie, N3KN, we are asking ARRL
members to contact their local Representative asking them to oppose HR 607
in its current form.

If you go to http://www.arrl.org/sample-letters you will find resource tools
to assist you in your letter writing.  These include:

        A sample letter opposing HR 607 in its current form
        A link to the ARRL Webpage that gives the ARRL member the contact
information for their Members of Congress
        A link to information sending their letters to our Washington
lobbyist to hand-deliver to Capitol Hill

A couple of key points to remember when discussing our opposition to HR
607:

        We understand and support the principle that Public Safety and First
responders should have the D-Block frequencies.
        Our opposition to the bill stems from the inclusion of the 420-440
MHZ Amateur allocation as part of the proposed "frequency swap".

Time is of the essence on this request, as the bill is gathering steam in
Congress.

        Once you have finished editing your letter, we request that you send
it to our Washington representative at Chwat & Co.  This allows
your letter to be hand-delivered to the appropriate legislative offices
without a lengthy delay.  It takes between 6 and 8 weeks for letters
mailed through the regular US mail to clear security screening off-site
before being delivered to Congressional office.

By US Mail - Send to:
                                 John Chwat
                                 Chwat & Co.
                                 625 Slaters Lane
                                 Suite 103
                                 Alexandria, VA 22314

By Fax - Send to: 703-684-7594

You may also send a signed letter via email to:  arrl at chwatco.com

Due to the urgency of this matter, I would recommend that you either send it
by Fax or E-mail as this would be faster.

Thanks and 73
John, W3ML
Indiana Section Manager