[IRCNews] A couple of reminders

Ken Bandy, KJ9B kj9b at arrl.net
Sat Jul 23 10:25:03 CDT 2011

Saturday, August 6, is the annual Broadripple Hamfest.  The event is being
hosted again by Joe and Betty Lobraico on the lot adjacent to their home at
7373 Westfield Blvd, Indianapolis, 46240.  There is no admission fee or any
fee for selling  items.  This is a "tailgate hamfest" with spots being
available on a first come, first served basis.  Typically, set up starts
early, around 6 or so.  There will be a cookout around 11:00, and probably
some coffee and donuts available early.

Then, on September 17, is the annual Hilltop contest.  You can find more
information at:  http://www.indyradioclub.org/Operating.htm

I received this testimonial/promo from Bob Burns, W9RXR, who was last year's
single operator award winner:

"I encourage everyone to try to operate in this event. If you have the
ability to set up at a hilltop or in a park, I think you'll have a lot of
fun. I worked this event, by myself, from a hilltop in Morgan-Monroe State
Forest last year and had a blast. Finishing second overall and first in
"single-op" helped, I guess. <grin>

Seriously, this event is an opportunity for you to try your hand at a Field
Day operation without the competitive pressure and difficult logistics that
sometimes go along with Field Day. Drag your radio and a battery to a park,
throw a wire up in a tree, and spend a nice morning operating.

Bob..."

Everyone try to stay cool, and drink lots of water!

73,
Ken
KJ9B