[IRCNews] Two class opportunities

Ken Bandy, KJ9B kj9b at arrl.net
Tue Jan 17 19:33:45 CST 2012

Mid-state Amateur Radio Club,   PO Box 836, Franklin, IN  46131
Contact:  Jack Parker  317-881-0817  Class Coordinator

 The Mid-State Amateur Radio Club is holding an all day Technician License
class on February 11, 2012 beginning at 8AM.   This entry level Amateur
Radio license class is being held in the training room at the Johnson County
Sheriff's office at 1000 Hospital Road in Franklin, IN.  The eight hour
class will cover all the rules, regulations and technology necessary to pass
the 35-question test at the end of the day.

The class is free to the public but we require all class members to
pre-purchase the Ham Radio License Manual  from the American Radio Relay
League's on-line site at:  www.arrl.org/  , in the Licensing and Education
section.
This will be a condensed class and we recommend students to study the
workbook before attending the February class.
Pre-register on-line at:  secretary at midstatehams.org/   Class size is
limited so we recommend signing up as soon as possible.
The Mid-State ARC as well as the Amateur Radio Community look forward to
welcoming you into the exciting hobby of Amateur Radio.  Our hobby is also a
community resource for public service and disaster communications.  We are
recognized by Homeland Security as a vital communications link for local and
global communications when disaster strikes.  As a ham radio operator you
will have the skills to communicate in various modes including analog,
digital and even satellite communications.
Amateur Radio operators are on the front line of severe weather reporting
for the National Weather Service.  Through the Skywarn program we become the
eyes and ears of the NWS by providing "ground truth" when severe weather
strikes.
Amateur Radio operators purchase and maintain their own equipment and pass
health and welfare information during critical public service events and
disasters.   The Technician License Class will give each student the tools
to become a trained communicator in their community.

ALSO:

The Hendricks County Club will be starting their annual classes on January
25, 2012. The classes will meet weekly for 8 to 9 weeks.  All levels of
classes are available (Technician, General, Amateur Extra) Contact Dr. Jay
Wright, KK9L, (317) 203-3335 for more information.