[IRCNews] "ARRL" email scam

Ken Bandy, KJ9B kj9b at arrl.net
Sun Jun 26 10:13:53 CDT 2016

Yesterday, I received the email pictured in the attached screen shot.  At
first glance, it appears to have a legitimate ARRL header image (which is
easy to lift from web sources by anyone).  However, there are several other
things that throw up red flags about this message.  First, it's return
address is not from the ARRL.  Second, the message is addressed to
info at live.com.  Third, the image at the bottom of the email is the logo of
the Michigan Section.  Lastly, when investigating the source code of the
message, I see the URL that is under the "CLICK HERE" link actually points
to a cryptic website address that appears to be based on Norfolk Island.
Now, if you need Norfolk Island for an "All Time New One", this is NOT how
to get it (Sorry, a little DX humor there.)  In any event, if you receive an
email that looks like this, definitely DO NOT click on the link.  Simply
delete it.

73,

Ken, KJ9B