[IRCNews] Indianapolis Radio Club September meeting coming up

Ken Bandy, KJ9B ken.kj9b at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 15:00:18 CDT 2017

Well, the heat of summer is almost over, in fact these last few days have
been refreshing!  I hope everyone had a great and relaxing summer (as much
as possible).  With the coming of the fall season comes the September
meeting of the Indianapolis Radio Club.  This meeting will have a very
special program, and a program with new relevance!  Through a special
arrangement, we will be presenting the documentary film "USS Indianapolis:
The Legacy".  This 98 minute film presents the story of the greatest sea
disaster in U.S. Navy History, told for the first time by only the men who
lived it. In the most top secret Navy mission of World War II, the crew of
the heavy cruiser USS Indianapolis delivers components of the atomic bomb to
Tinian island. Four days later, two Japanese torpedoes sink the ship in the
Challenger Deep, triggering an epic tale of survival. For five days, the 880
men who make it into the water battle searing sun, thirst, hundreds of
sharks-and ultimately each other. Just 317 survive-only to band together
again in a fifty-year fight to clear their captain's name. Set to a soaring
original score, this incredible story unfolds with rare WWII footage,
previously unpublished photographs, and new footage from one of the last
WWII-era heavy cruisers still afloat. USS Indianapolis: The Legacy shows us
that through courage and faith, ordinary men can survive the crucible of
nature, and emerge extraordinary heroes.

You don't want to miss this opportunity to see this special film, especially
in light of the recent discovery of the wreckage of the USS Indianapolis!

The showing will take place at our September meeting, September 8, starting
at 7:30 pm, at the IVY Tech North Meridian Campus, 4th floor auditorium, at
Meridian and Fall Creek.  Follow this link for more information on the film,
including a preview trailer:
https://www.tugg.com/events/september-2017-indianapolis-radio-club-meeting.
Don't worry about getting tickets.  You can if you want, but they are not
required.

73,
Ken, KJ9B