[IRCNews] International Space Station scheduled to send pictures this weekend!

David Spoelstra davids at mediamachine.com
Thu Feb 14 14:56:53 CST 2019

You have another chance to download pictures from the ISS this weekend!

Grab your yourself, your kids, and/or your grandkids and do something cool!

We had a member of the club download the pictures last week using a $25
Baofeng UV5R with a STOCK antenna and decoded them with his Android phone!

Here's a link to the picture I downloaded and the certificate I received:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KYoT78ZMZYbX7GB4A

Here's what you need:
2m HT tuned to 145.800MHz. Put on the best whip antenna you have.
Android: Robot36 for decoding the picture (FREE)
iPhone/iPad: "SSTV Slow Scan TV"
Decoding software mode: PD120

Passes above Indy (local times). Each pass is 4-8 minutes long:
2/15: 10:20am, 3:13pm, 4:49pm
2/16: 9:28am, 11:06am, 3:57pm
2/17: 8:37am, 10:14am

Procedure: Be outside at the correct time. Tune your HT to 145.800 MHz with
the squelch OFF. Turn on the decoding software on your phone. When you hear
the ISS, make sure the speaker of your HT is near the microphone on your
phone. The reception is best if your antenna is perpendicular to the ISS -
so holding it horizontally usually works best, but move your HT around for
the loudest signal. Enjoy!

You can get the latest SSTV information on the ARISS SSTV Blog Spot:
http://ariss-sstv.blogspot.com/  Once received, Images can be posted and
viewed by the public at
http://www.spaceflightsoftware.com/ARISS_SSTV/index.php  And you can
receive a special SSTV ARISS Award for posting your image. See
https://ariss.pzk.org.pl/sstv/.  For simplicity, we have added a new tab
for SSTV, under general contacts, on the ARISS web site www.ariss.org

If you receive a picture from the ISS, bring it to the next club meeting to
share!

Note to those members that went outside with me in the frosty cold at the
last meeting to decode the picture. NASA has said that there was a problem
with the software to send the picture on that pass. That's why we only saw
the ISS and didn't hear them.

-David, N9KT