[IRCNews] Grounding

Dr. John A. Kassebaum PhD, PE jak at kassebaum.net
Wed Jun 26 21:56:13 CDT 2019

Hi Jeff!

Not sure if this helps, but I am interested in the issue/solution!

I assert that trees are generally electrically well grounded.
One technical reference supporting my assertion:
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/direct-current/chpt-3/shock-current-path/

I do NOT know if the electrical ground represented by a tree is effective at RF (HF, UHF, VHF) or just at 60Hz or DC. I do NOT know what the impedance of this kind of ground connection either. Also, what voltages/currents would cause lasting damage to a healthy tree? What would the connection to the tree be? (Drill a hole, insert a copper or aluminum pipe? Idk)

Anyway, it’s an idea and might be far easier for a temporary setup than trying to drive a copper grounding rod that you might not be able to remove.

Thanks for being interested and interesting!! Can’t wait to hear what you come up with!!

Best Regards & In Service,
-John

-- iPhone
John A. Kassebaum, PhD PE AC9JX